- Our system currently handles 9m web requests per day and sells £1m worth of tickets per day for our clients. The nature of the industry means that there are often peaks of activity many times higher than the normal load.
- As our client base grows and becomes more complex, we are constantly upgrading the system to stay ahead of these demands.
- The industry is organic - every client has their own unique way of doing things and our system has to be highly configurable in order to meet these demands but while never customising the software to meet the requirements of any one specific client.
- As an application that users often use for 8 hours a day straight while serving customers (who at peaks times, may be queuing out the door), it has to have far better response times than the average web application.
- We believe SaaS is the most effective way to deliver a great box office system.
- We hire engineers, not just code monkeys.
- We use the right tool for the job - always willing to embrace new technologies.
- We always choose the smart way, rather than the easiest way.
- We take pride in the things we build.
- We use the methodologies that make sense and adapt them as the situation requires.
- When designing, we make sure the right people are in the room, from Software Engineers to Support - we work collaboratively when we design.
- We work in a supportive environment - if there’s a problem, it’s everyone's problem; when we succeed it’s everyone’s success.
Why choose us?
- We have dedicated QA, UX and Tech Ops teams working with our Software Engineers.
- We believe in professional development - we give our Engineers time off to attend courses and conferences (recent examples are Software craftsmanship and Domain driven design at SkillsMatter and the Render Conference).
- We facilitate work shadowing so our Engineers understand other parts of the Engineering team and wider business.
- All our code is reviewed and all Engineers are expected to review each other's code.
- We believe in collaboration - where your ideas and contributions are welcomed and expected.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Understanding functional specifications and providing technical feedback.
- Working closely with our UX team, senior engineers and CTO to develop technical designs for new features.
- Implementing new features and fixing bugs in the live system.
- Ensuring that production code is efficient, easy to maintain and adheres to OO principles and engineering standards.
- Refactoring areas of the code that need improving.
- Investigating and learning new technologies as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a good degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Engineering, Physics, Computer Science etc.).
- Demonstrate a systematic and analytical approach to problem solving.
- Have excellent technical communication skills.
- Have an understanding of web applications.
- Have a thorough understanding of object oriented programming principles, techniques and patterns.