Spektrix is all about bringing technology and the arts together in harmony - and that is exactly what the Business Development Specialist needs to do. You are both product expert and a born networker. You will work to grow our business helping us attract new clients. You will raise our profile, connecting with arts organisations across the country to build a conversation with them. Reporting to the Managing Director, you’ll spend your time based in the office working the phones, email and SalesForce to build the connections that will help grow our business.
As a business, our focus is on winning new clients that are profitable, high profile and for whom we can do an amazing job. Our approach to new business is about building relationships and establishing ourselves as a partner to the sector, who are committed to understanding the needs of arts organisations and delivering a service that meets those needs. Our mantra is “underpromise, overdeliver”.
Understanding our prospects
To do this job, you need to be outgoing and persistent - willing to pick up the phone and introduce us to a variety of cold prospects. You need to be able to build relationships through getting prospects to open up about themselves and their business. You can then use that as a foundation to keep in touch, gradually understand their business needs better, get to know their region and partner venues better, and generally gather lots of data and insights that will help us build up a full picture of the organisation, the stakeholders, their network and the area they work in.
Of course, in parallel, you’ll be introducing Spektrix - who we are, how we work, why we exist. You’ll be talking to prospects of all different shapes and sizes, explaining to them how our product and service can make their lives easier and help them grow their business. You’ll be talking to people from box office, marketing and fundraising, so it’s important you bring excellent communication skills to the table, and a Spektrix style passion for technology and the arts. You will have a comprehensive induction plan, and from that, you'll be confident in discussing our USPs over that from our competitors.
Keeping on top of the data
As a data-led business, we believe that data is the foundation of smart decision making. SalesForce is the foundation of our new business approach - a repository for all data - account details to contact history. A key part of the role will see you taking responsibility for the management of SalesForce - ensuring it’s an accurate reflection of our interactions and our key target areas. This will also mean, as the keeper of the data, you need to liaise with other team members to ensure their interactions are captured and all account records are kept up to date.
Setting up successful meetings:
The ultimate goal within the role will be to set up meetings and product demos with potential clients for our sales team. You will be required to qualify their fit for Spektrix. Key criteria against which to evaluate are:- feature expectations, organisational complexity, organisation size, philosophical fit (we don’t want to be treated as an arms-length supplier), go-live time frame, incumbent system (some are harder than others to migrate from), pricing expectations, ability to add value to the relationship, how competitive we are compared to who else they’re looking at. We want to make sure when we walk in the room we’ve got a great chance of winning it.
Your main responsibilities in business development will include:
- Identifying key prospects in target areas as defined by your manager
- Researching prospects you will leave no stone unturned so that before we even start talking to them we’ve got a great knowledge of their business.
- Reaching out to new prospects to introduce Spektrix and get to know them as individuals and their business.
- Keeping in touch with prospects, making sure they are up to speed with all things Spektrix and we’re up to speed with everything that’s going on with them.
- Identify opportunities to add value to prospects - sharing content (from Spektrix and others) to deepen the relationship through adding insight (ergo value).
- Liaise with Marketing and the Account Executive to ensure we’ve got a holistic contact strategy that incorporates all your learnings, inputting as needed.
- Keeping on top of the competitors within the market, updating the product team of any significant changes or approaches we should consider.
- Leverage existing client relationships to gather data in a region or gain referrals/introductions.
- Coordinate with support for introductions as needed.
- Support regional events as needed, inviting prospects, setting up locations, attending etc.
- Take accountability for the state of SalesForce - adding new prospects to it, ensuring all data fields are correct and up to date, all contact notes are recorded and help hold to account the wider team to ensure it’s up to date and reflects all contact history and information.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- A passion for technology and how it can transform businesses.
- A willingness to contribute to the overall development of the company, taking on responsibility or additional duties that may fall outside the general duties listed above.
- Ambition to succeed.
- You must be prepared to work away from home (generally not more than one night at a time but occasionally more).
- You must be prepared to travel throughout North America if required.
- You must be eligible to work in the US.
What does success look like?
- Number of phone calls made.
- Quality of conversations.
- Quality of SalesForce data.